What is a U-Visa?
A U-Visa lets victims of crimes who meet certain requirements stay in the United States.
What benefits does the U Visa provide?:
- You can legally live in the United States for four years.
- After three years of having a U-Visa you can apply for a green card (permanent residence)to stay in the U.S. permanently (and eventually apply for citizenship).
- You can apply for permission to work in the United States.
- Some of your family members might also be able to get a U-Visa.
- You may be eligible for certain public benefits in some states like California and New York.
How to apply for the U Visa:
- Complete form I-918 and file it with USCIS with the required supporting documents.
How long will it take USCIS to decide whether I get a U-Visa?
- USCIS is currently taking about 6-9 months to approve or deny a U application.
- If you are in immigration court, you can usually ask the judge to postpone your case in order to see if the U application is approved.
Who can apply for a U-Visa?
- If you entered illegally, you can apply for a U-Visa.
- If you over-stayed your visa you can apply for a U-Visa.
- You can apply for a U-Visa when you are outside the United States.