Management consultants are Schedule 2 professionals and eligible for TN visa status.
Management consultant services are to be of a temporary, periodic or fixed nature and not to be performed as full-time employment.
To qualify under the management consultant category per the USCIS regulation, you must possess a baccalaureate or licenciatura degree or the equivalent professional experience.
Proof required for equivalent professional experience would be a statement or professional credential evaluation showing five years of experience as a management consultant or five years’ experience in a field of specialty related to the applicable consulting agreement).
Management consultants help organizations improve their performance in a wide range of disciplines, primarily through the analysis of existing strategic and operating business problems and development of plans for improvement of the organization’s administration, policies and goals.
Organizations would contract with a management consultant in cases where hiring a permanent employees is not required.
The TN management consultant should be an independent contractor who enters into a formal consulting agreement with the entity in need of his or her services.
The TN-1 management consultant may be an employee of a consulting firm under contract to a U.S. entity.
The TN management consultant may not be filling a newly created permanent position or replacing someone in an existing position of the organization ultimately receiving the benefit of the services.
Required Supporting Documents for the Management Consultant TN Visa:
- Copy of Bachelor Degree or transcripts or licenteria and transcripts, or proof of 5 years of prior relevant work experience.
- Copy of management consulting agreement, signed by both parties.
- Cover letter explaining terms and duration of the consulting agreement.
The cover letter should explain:
- The reason that the company needs a management consultant.
- Confirmation that the management consultant will not be involved in the day to day management of the company.
- The problem or issues that will be solved or improved. The problems or issues should relate to improving strategy, performance, operating issues, economic or financial issues, policy issues or administrative issues.
- The methodologies that the management consultant will use to identify and solve the problems or issues.
- To who the management consultant will report findings and recommendations.
About the TN Visa:
TN status may be granted for up to 3 years. TN extensions are available.
You must have a job offer for a temporary full-time or part-time job with a U.S. employer (but not self-employment) for a position on the TN Occupation List.
You may apply at the Port of Entry (Canadian TN), at a U.S. Embassy (Mexican TN), or by filing the I-129 petition with USCIS. Our attorney fee is $500 to prepare the petition for you to take to the port of entry or embassy.
If you wish to file the I-129 petition with USCIS the USCIS fee is $460 and premium processing is available for an additional $1,225. Our attorney fee is $500 to prepare the petition and file it with USCIS.
If you have a general question about the TN visa please complete and submit the form below and we will do our best to answer it. You may also follow us on facebook as we usually post the answers there.