TN Visa for Canadian and Mexican Professionals

Who qualifies for a “TN” visa?
Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) a citizen of Canada or  Mexico may work in a professional occupation in the U.S. provided that:

The category “Professionals Under the North American Free Trade Agreement” is available only to Citizens of Canada and Mexico.

1) the profession is on the NAFTA list,

2) the alien possesses the specific criteria for that profession,

3) the prospective position requires someone in that professional capacity and

4) the alien is going to work for a U.S. employer.

The spouse and unmarried, minor children of the principal alien are entitled to the derivative status, but they are unable to accept employment in the United States.

Aliens entering under this classification are considered non-immigrants.

Click here to download the List of TN Occupations

How can a “TN” visa be obtained?

Citizens of Canada must provide the following at the port of entry:

1. A request for “TN” status;

2. A copy of the applicant’s college degree and employment records which establish qualification for the prospective job;

3. A letter from the alien’s prospective U.S.-based employer offering him or her a job in the United States, which is included on the professional job series (NAFTA list).

Canadian citizens are not required to obtain a visa, but instead receive “TN” status with the USCIS at the port of entry.

The “TN” status will only be granted if the period of stay is temporary.

How can an application for extension of temporary stay be made?

Applications for extension of stay are processed by the USCIS.

Canadian citizens have two options.

First, they may have their employer file an I-129 form at the Vermont USCIS office. This option does not require leaving the U.S.

Second, Canadians may return to Canada to re-apply at the port of entry with the same documentation that is required for an original application.

There are no products