B-1 Business Visa

Marriage Based Adjustment of Status petition Approved in 3 months, 4 days.

We filed a Marriage Based Adjustment of Status petition with USCIS on December 5th, 2017 and received the final approval notices on March 9th, 2018:

USCIS Filing Date: December 5th, 2017

Received I-130 and I-485 Approval Notices on March 9th, 2018

Processing time from Filing with USCIS to Approval: 3 months, 4 days.

I-485: MSC-18-903-40058

New I-94 Process

Earlier this year U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) began phasing out the I-94 cards issued to nonimmigrant visitors and implementing a new online version.

Instead of receiving the white or green card stapled to the passport upon entry into the U.S. by sea or air, the CBP is endorsing the passport with an admission stamp that specifies the date of admission, class of admission and admitted until date.

The foreign national is required to visit the CBP website (https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html), to retrieve the Admission (I-94) number.

This is done by entering his or her information as listed on the travel document used to enter the U.S. (e.g., name, date of birth, passport number, date of entry, and class of admission) and printing the page containing evidence of lawful admission and the expiration date of the authorized stay.

If the information is incorrect or unavailable, the foreign visitor may need to visit a local CBP office.

Foreign visitors entering by land will continue to be issued  paper I-94 cards upon entry.

Consular Fees

Consular fees:

Non-Immigrant Visa Fees*
Nonimmigrant visa application $ 131.00 $ 140.00
1.   H, L, O, P and R categories $ 131.00 $ 150.00
2.   E Visas $ 131.00 $ 390.00
3.   K Visa $ 131.00 $ 350.00
4.   BCC Adult $ 131.00 $ 140.00
Immigrant Visa Fees
IV Application Processing Fee
1.   Family-based immigrant visa $ 355.00 $ 330.00
2.   Employment-based immigrant visa $ 355.00 $ 720.00
3.   Other immigrant visas (SIVs, DVs, etc.) $ 355.00 $ 305.00
IV Security Surcharge $   45.00 $   74.00
Diversity Visa Lottery surcharge $  375.00 $ 440.00
Domestic review of Affidavit of Support $    70.00 $   88.00
Determining Returning Resident Status $  400.00 $ 380.00
Passport Fees
Passport Book – adult $ 100.00** $ 135.00**
Passport Book – minor $  85.00** $ 105.00**
Passport Book Renewal – Adult $ 75.00 $ 110.00
Additional passport visa pages $  82.00
Passport Card – Adult $  45.00** $  55.00**
Passport Card – Child $  35.00** $  40.00**
Consular Report of Birth Abroad $  65.00 $  100.00
Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship $  450.00
File Search and Verification of U.S. Citizenship $  60.00 $  150.00
Overseas Citizens Services
Disposition/Shipment of Remains of a non-U.S. Citizen $265.00 + expenses $200.00 + expenses
Documentary Services
Notarials, Certifications of True Copies, Authentications, provision of Department of State records $ 30.00 (first),
20.00 (addt’l)
$ 50.00
Judicial Services
Processing Letters Rogatory & FSIA $ 735.00 $ 2,275.00
Taking Depositions or Executing Commissions:
1.   Scheduling/Arranging Depositions $ 475.00 $ 1,283.00
2.   Attending or Taking Depositions $ 265.00/hr + expenses $ 309.00/hr + expenses
3.   Swearing in Witnesses $ 265.00/hr + expenses $ 231.00/hr + expenses
4.   Supervising Telephone Depositions $ 265.00/hr + expenses $ 231.00/hr + expenses
5.   Providing Seal and Certification $ 70.00 $ 415.00
Administrative Services
Consular Time Charges (per hour) $ 265.00 $ 231.00

*New NIV fees were instituted June 4, 2010.
**This includes a $25 Execution fee not retained by Department of State.

Special Instructions for B-1/B-2 Visitors Who Want to Enroll in School

Is it permissible to enroll in school while in B-1/B-2 status?

No, it is not. The regulations, at 8 CFR 214.2(b)(7), specifically prohibit study in the United States while in B-1 or B-2 status.

Before enrolling in classes, individuals who are in B-1 or B-2 status must first acquire F-1 (academic student) or M-1 (vocational student) status.

Enrolling in classes while in B-1/B-2 status will result in a status violation. Individuals in B-1 or B-2 status, who have violated their nonimmigrant status by enrolling in classes, are not eligible to extend their B status or change to F-1 or M-1 status.

These regulations provide no exceptions.

How can I obtain F-1 or M-1 status?

If you currently hold B-1 or B-2 nonimmigrant status and would like to enroll in classes, you may apply for a change of status to F-1 or M-1, as appropriate, if:

You have not yet enrolled in classes

Your current status has not expired

You have not engaged in unauthorized employment

To change your nonimmigrant status from B-1/B-2 to F-1 or M-1, you must file an Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status (Form I-539), and include the required fee and documents listed in the filing instructions.

Please Note:

If you enroll in classes before USCIS approves your Form I-539, you will be ineligible to change your nonimmigrant status from B to F or M.

If you are applying to extend your B-1/B-2 stay and you have already enrolled in classes, USCIS cannot approve your B-1/B-2 extension because of the status violation.

What if I am not eligible?

If you are not eligible to change your nonimmigrant status to F-1 or M-1, you may apply for an F-1 or M-1 visa at a consular post abroad. For information about consular processing, please visit the Department of State’s website at www.state.gov/travel.

For information about the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP), please visit the SEVP website at: www.ice.gov/sevis.

Change of Filing Location for Form I-539

Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status

WASHINGTON—U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) today announced revised filing instructions and addresses for applicants filing an Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status (Form I-539) by itself.

The new form, dated 7/15/10, is part of an overall effort to transition the intake of some benefit forms from Service Centers to USCIS Lockbox facilities. Centralizing form and fee intake to a Lockbox environment allows USCIS to provide customers with more efficient and effective initial processing of applications and fees.

Beginning Aug. 3, 2010 applicants submitting Form I-539 by itself must mail their application to the USCIS Dallas Lockbox facility.

Applicants submitting their Form I-539 with Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker, will continue to submit both forms to either the USCIS California Service Center or the USCIS Vermont Service Center, according to the Form I-129 filing instructions.

Dependent applicants submitting Form I-539 applications at the same time should include their application in the package with the primary applicant.

Applicants filing Form I-539 under category “P-4, Dependents of Major League Sports” Athletes or Support Personnel, should continue to file their applications at the USCIS Vermont Service Center.

Applicants filing under the category “V Nonimmigrant” should continue to file their applications at the USCIS Chicago Lockbox facility. Detailed guidance can be found in updated Form I-539 instructions at www.uscis.gov, under the “FORMS”tab.

USCIS Service Centers will forward incorrectly filed Form I-539 applications to the USCIS Dallas Lockbox facility by mail for 45 days, until Sept. 17, 2010.

After Sept. 17, 2010 applications incorrectly filed at the Service Centers will be returned to the applicant, with a note to send the application to the correct location.

USCIS will issue a reciept upon receiving a correctly filed Form I-539 in accordance with the revised filing instructions.

Applicants filing a Form I-539 at a USCIS Lockbox facility may elect to receive an e-mail and/or text message notifying them that their application has been accepted.

They must complete an E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance (Form G-1145), and attach it to the first page of their application.

There are no products