Q: What is a joint sponsor.
A: A joint sponsor is a person who is not the petitioner for the fiance visa applicant but who meets the citizenship, residence, and age requirements and who meets the 125 percent minimum income requirement for his or her household size.
Joint sponsors are permitted when the petitioner cannot meet the income requirements.
Q: Who can be a joint sponsor?
A: Joint sponsors must be U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents; age 18 or over; and live in one of the 50 States, Washington, DC, or a US territory or possession.
Q: Is there a limit on the number of joint sponsors?
A: There is no limit on the number of joint sponsors; but each joint sponsor must meet the 125 percent of the poverty line income requirement for their household size.
Q: What are the responsibilities of a joint sponsor?
A: Joint sponsors must accept joint legal responsibility for supporting sponsored immigrant(s) and reimbursing the cost of any means-tested public benefit used until the sponsored immigrants naturalize, can be credited with 40 qualifying quarters of work, depart the United States permanently, or die.
Q: Are joint sponsors required to attend the interview?
A. No, joint sponsors are not required to attend the interview. However the foreign national fiance must bring the joint sponsor’s supporting documents (employment verification, copy of most recent years 1040 IRS tax return and W-2) to the interview.
Contact us for more information about the fiance visa application process, or any other immigration law question. Our professional team will reply promptly.
- How to Apply for a K1 Fiance Visa by Yourself
- How to hire an Immigration Lawyer to file your K1 Fiance Visa
- How to complete the K1 Fiance Visa Affidavit of Support
- How to determine the K1 Fiance Visa Income Requirements
- How to use assets to qualify on the affidavit of support for the K1 fiance visa
- How to prepare for the K1 fiance visa interview
- What are the K1 fiance visa vaccination requirements?
- How do I extend my K1 fiance visa?
- How do I apply for a K2 visa for my child?
- How do I get the immigration photos for my K1 fiance visa?
- How do I contact the National Visa Center for my K1 fiance visa?
- What is Packet 3 for my K1 fiance visa?
- How do I find a list of US Embassies?