H-3 Visa – Temporary Trainee

What is H3 visa?

The USCIS H-3 visa category applies to an alien coming temporarily to receive training from an employer in any field other than graduate education or training, such as:

Foreign nationals to receive training which is not available in their country

Foreign nationals as special exchange visitors to receive training in educating children with physical, mental or emotional disabilities.

Multinational companies to send their foreign employees to the U.S. for on-the-job training. This may be utilized as an option to the L-1 visa.

The H-3 visa is also sometimes considered as an option to the H-1B Visa, although it is important to note reiterate that the purpose of the H-3 visa is to receive training.

What types of training are permissible under the H-3 category?

Generally, H-3 training can occur in “any field of endeavor” including agriculture, commerce, communications, finance, government, transportation, as well as purely industrial areas.

Specifically excluded from the H-3 category is graduate medical training, however, in some cases nurses may receive training in the U.S. in H-3 status, as well as foreign medical students on school vacation can participate in externships at US hospitals.

The H-3 nonimmigrant visa category is designed to allow foreign nationals to come to the U.S. to receive training in many different activities.

Unlike the H-1B category, the H-3 is not a dual-intent visa, so the beneficiary cannot be pursuing avenues toward permanent residency.

The regulations allow for training in “any field of endeavor.” The regulations give examples of agriculture, commerce, communications, finance, government, transportation, the professions, as well as purely industrial areas.

The only sort of training that is specifically excluded is graduate medical training.

Nurses may, in some circumstances, receive training in the U.S. in H-3 status, and foreign medical students on school vacation can participate in externships at U.S. hospitals.

While the category initially appears very appealing, it is subject to many detailed requirements and limitations that render it less useful. Only 3,000 H-3 visas are issued each year.

The category underwent many substantive changes in 1990, when the following requirements were imposed on training programs:

The training must not be available in the alien’s home country

The alien must not be placed in a position which is part of the normal operation of business which would ordinarily be filled by a U.S. worker

The alien must not be productively employed unless such employment is “incidental and necessary” to the training

The training must benefit the alien in pursuit of employment outside the US

How do I qualify for H3 visa?

To qualify for H-3 visa, you must be coming to the U.S. to receive training in areas such as commerce, agriculture, government, professions, finance, agriculture, or in an industrial establishment.

You must prove that:

You are not receiving graduate medical education or training in the U.S.

You do not have the opportunity to receive similar training in your home country

You need this training to advance your career outside the U.S.

You will not be productively employed unless it is necessary to the training

The training offered does not employ U.S. citizen and resident workers

What are the limitations of H3 work visa?

The training program must be provided by the U.S. company which petitions for the foreign national

Physicians are ineligible for the H-3 classification to receive any type of medical training or education

If the H-3 visa holder remains in the U.S. for the maximum period of time, (s)he may not seek a change of status, extension, or readmission to the U.S. in H or L status until (s)he has resided outside of the U.S. for a period of six months

Dependents of H-3 visa holders may not work in the U.S.

Can I extend my stay on H-3 visa?

No, you may not apply for extension of stay on H-3 visa.

Upon the completion of the period of stay you are supposed to leave the U.S. as there is no extension facility for this visa.

Can I study or work on H-3 visa?

Yes, you may take a few credits at a university which might support your training program.

However, you may not join a full length course like an F-1 visa holder.

Your employment should be limited to minimum hours and should be in the field of the training program.

Can I bring my dependents on H-3 visa?

Yes, your spouse and unmarried children may accompany you on H-4 visa and they may stay as long as you are on valid H-3 status.

Can my dependents study on H-4 visa?

Yes, your dependents may study on the H-4 visa.

They do not have to apply for separate F-1 student visa.

H-3 Visa Attorney Fee: $695

Client Reviews

I've had the pleasure of conducting business with this law firm for the last 10 years. They have been nothing but the best for every aspect of immigration need I had. From F1 all the way to citizenship. They're probably the most affordable, knowledgeable, and most efficient immigration law firm out there. Plus, they always provide responses to questions in a very timely manner. Trust me, other immigration law firms will cost you an arm and a leg for the same or less of a service compared to this law firm. Give them a call, check out their website. You will not regret it.
Andy Glasgow
Andy Glasgow
17:26 27 Mar 17
Because of John and his team my wife and I were able to travel back to the states, get married and have a Green Card without any headaches. John’s efforts were amazing and it shows because my wife and I didn’t have to go to the Green card interview. We had a strong enough case to receive the Green card in the mail. If you’re seeking a Lawyer that will be impartial, he’s your guy.
19:18 23 Feb 17
Me & husband went through immigration process which thankfully was made easy with the help and services of Marc Tyler Inc. Our direct contact was John which i want to personally say Thank You ! The service provided was efficient, fast, affordable prompt answers in a timely fashion. I would recommend Marc Tyler Inc to anyone who need immigration done fast, easy, friendly & with no hidden charges.
Aleksandra Stoycheva
Aleksandra Stoycheva
15:27 26 Jan 17
I could not have asked for better service. I will definitely be coming back to get the green card process done. The fees are extremely reasonable and they stick with their clients the entire way. I had so many questions during this process, and each one of them were answered very quickly and with out most professionalism. This firm is a pleasure to work with and I highly recommend them to anyone.
bryan mowrey
bryan mowrey
06:41 25 Nov 16
Marc and John Dorer worked on our case to file for AOS after our L1A was approved.Marc and John are professionals and extremely reasonable-priced. The reason they are able to cut the price is because they don't spend time consulting you or guiding you and will never get on call.All communications are email only, so if you know precisely what you want they will do all the paper-work, follow the trail and get the job done. If you are confused and need advice and consulting, they may not be the right lawyers.But since we were doing our AOS, it worked out perfectly well and they did their job extremely professionally.Would recommend them every time to get the work done.
hardik parikh
hardik parikh
01:58 08 Feb 17
At first I thought I could have very well gone through the green card application process on my own and saved all lawyer fees. Its funny how some lawyers can charge in excess of 2K for this. However at Taylor and Associates the price seemed more reasonable and felt it made sense to go with one at that price. There were some doubts that arose in our mind which they cleared in a timely manner and seemed very knowledgeable in this area. Its for moments like these when having a professional around helps. While we can get busy with our lives and with laws constantly changing, I would definitely recommend them - a small price to pay for peace of mind.
Callistus Pereira
Callistus Pereira
17:51 06 Jun 17
I am US citizen. We hired Marc's firm for my wife's Green Card process, We are extremely happy with their services.They are one of the best service providers in the country. Price is very affordable. John is awesome. He responded to our queries on time with very useful information. We highly recommend this firm to anybody looking for affordable and the best immigration services. it was an awesome experience working with this team.
Narsimha M
Narsimha M
13:57 04 Aug 17
Mark and team went above all my expectations of an 'online' service agency I went in with very low expectations to match the low cost of the service and was amazed that the experience was no different than going through an expensive attorney. They were very prompt on responses, very patient and also very knowledgeable on every facet of the application (including a follow up checklist). I would highly recommend them considering the low cost they charge and the high risk we take by doing this ourselves
First Dhalsite
First Dhalsite
22:27 01 Sep 17
USVISANOW streamlined the paperwork which saved us so much time. This also reduced the stress involved in filling out the paperwork. They also are very understanding and respond very quickly to questions and emails. Jackline is now a US citizen which took less than 5 months. Thank you Mr. Taylor and your team. From Brian and Jacky.
Jackline Osero
Jackline Osero
17:32 12 Sep 17
The best law agency I have ever worked with. Very responsive, experienced. I trusted my green process to them and it was done perfectly without and issues in minimum possible period. Thank You Very much Marc, John and others!!!
Hrach Gyulzadyan
Hrach Gyulzadyan
16:38 30 Sep 17
My husband and I worked with John Dorer from Marc Taylor's office, and his services exceeded our expectations. He was very knowledgeable, responsive, and our Green Card process and interview from start to finish went smoothly. Thank you so much, John, for your dedication to our case and all your help. I would highly recommend USAVISANOW to all!
Sophia Nguyen
Sophia Nguyen
17:26 09 Oct 17
Marc and John helped me apply and get my green card. They are very specific about needed documents and other details. Also, they are very responsive when you have a question. I know I emailed them several times just to ask questions that I could have found answers online myself. They are very patient and professional. If you want to get great services with reasonable fees contact them!
Amin Bagheri
Amin Bagheri
11:54 12 Oct 17
Used the services of this office for Green Card through AOS and was mainly in contact with John Dorer. I was unsure about their services at first, considering the unusually affordable cost but was pleasantly surprised by their prompt responses to all our questions and their timely preparing and handling of our documents! Will be using their services again when filing for removal of condition! Definitely recommended!
Lisa Lorentzon
Lisa Lorentzon
22:56 10 Dec 17
my wife and i worked with John Dorer from Marc Taylors Associates. He's services were awesome and amazing. i would recommend him to anybody applying for their permanent resident to work with them.
Seun Olanrewaju
Seun Olanrewaju
15:33 22 Dec 17
I was very pleased with their professional service from the beginning to the end for my citizenship application. I am a professional working in the higher education and somewhat familiar with the immigration process. For that reason, I was thinking of applying it by myself but I found Taylor and Associates whose service fee is very affordable and worth of my time. Indeed, they found some of minor mistakes in my application, which could have delayed much longer for my application process. Luckily, they caught and fixed them immediately. Their communication was excellent. In fact, everything was very smooth. Even after I had the approval notice, they followed up with valuable advices. I strongly recommend their service if you need immigration services. Thank you Marc and John for your excellent services.
Dominic Choo
Dominic Choo
17:12 23 Dec 17

Read More Client Reviews