H-1B Visa for Medical Technologists

H-1B Visa Degree and license requirements for Medical Technologists

Foreign national Medical Technologists (also known as Clinical Laboratory Technologists and Clinical Laboratory Scientists) must meet the USCIS Healthcare Worker requirements, listed below.

  1. The Medical Technologist must possess at least a Bachelor Degree or foreign equivalent in Medical Technology or a closely related field.
  2. The Medical Technologists must have their educational credentials verified through CGFNS.
  3. The Medical Technologists must obtain a Visa Screen Certificate (Type I Certificate) through CGFNS.
  4. The Medical Technologists must obtain a State Medical Technologist License (or Clinical Laboratory Technologist License or Clinical Laboratory Scientist License) (Temporary or Permanent) or a letter of eligibility to obtain a State License once the H-1B visa is approved.

CGFNS is the source Visa Screen Certificate (Type I Certificate) for Medical Technologists:

Prevailing wage requirements for the H-1B Visa for Medical Technologists

The Petitioner (employer) is required to pay the beneficiary at least the prevailing wage.

The prevailing wage can be found at the Foreign Labor Certification Data Center.

The prevailing wage level is based on the employer’s requirements for the position.

Here is a guide on what prevailing wage to expect:

  • Bachelor Degree and 0-1 years of experience required should result in a Level 1 prevailing wage.
  • Bachelor Degree and 2 years of experience should result in a Level 2 prevailing wage.
  • Master Degree and no experience required should result in a Level 2 prevailing wage.
  • Bachelor Degree and 3 years of experience should result in a Level 3 prevailing wage.
  • Bachelor Degree and 4+ years of experience should result in a Level 4 prevailing wage.

New H-1B Filing for Medical Technologists

Employers wishing to file a new H-1B petition for a Medical Technologist should start the preparing the petition 3-6 months prior the April 1st H-1B Filing date. USCIS will normally hold a random lottery the first week in April to determine which petitions will be accepted and proceed to adjudication. The regular H-1B quota is 65,000. There is an additional quota of 20,000 for US Master Degree Holders. The petitions that are accepted in the random lottery usually take 3-5 months for adjudication, although premium processing is available. The Medical Technologist would normally start work October 1st.

Transferring the Medical Technologist H-1B Visa to a different employer

Employers wishing to hire a Medical Technologist who is currently working for another employer in H-1B status may file an H-1B Transfer petition with USCIS. One major benefit of H-1B transfer petitions is that the Medical Technologist can start work as early as the day that USCIS receives the H-1B Transfer petition.

Renewing or Extending the H-1B Visa for Medical Technologists

Employers who currently employ a Medical Technologist in H-1B Visa status may file a petition with USCIS to extend that worker’s H-1B status. H-1B status normally lasts for 6 years, although can be extended beyond 6 years in certain cases if the green card (permanent residence) process has begun.

Filing an Amended H-1B Petition for a Change in the Work Location for Medical Technologists

USCIS recently announced a change to the amended H-1B filing process. The change primarily affects 3rd party client work locations.

The Simeio Solutions Decision essentially states that an employer must file an amended H-1B petition if their H-1B employee changed or is going to change his or her place of employment to a worksite location outside of the metropolitan statistical area (MSA) or an “area of intended employment” (as defined at 20 CFR 655.715) covered by the existing approved H-1B petition, even if a new LCA is already certified and posted at the new location.

If the H-1B Medical Technologist is moving to a new job location within the same MSA or area of intended employment a new LCA is not required.

Related Links:
H1B Visa Cap / Quota
H-1B Visa Overview
H-1B Visa Renewal / Extension
H-1B Visa Transfer
Amended H-1B Visa
New H-1B Visa, Cap Exempt
H-1B Visa for Entrepreneurs
H-1B Visa for Teachers
H-1B Visa Attorney Fee
H-1B Visa Complete Do it Yourself Kit



There are no products