The purpose of the National Interest Waiver Letter is to convince the USCIS adjudicator that you meet the requirements for the National Interest Waiver I-149 petiiton.
First Paragraph – the WOW factor.
• The USCIS Officer is likely not an expert in your specific field, so you want to avoid overly technical language that he/she may not understand,
• It is important to state your case in laymen terms as early in the letter as possible. You want to quantify the problem and then provide your specific contribution as a solution to the problem.
Explain how the field is of substantial intrinsic merit. This usually means involving one of the following:
• The U.S. economy.
• Wages and working conditions of U.S. Workers.
• Health of US residents
• Educational and training programs for U.S. children and underqualified workers.
• Affordable housing for young, aged, or poor U.S. residents.
• Improve the U.S. environment and lead to more productive use of the national resources.
Explain how the field is national in scope. This means providing evidence that both the problem and your contribution will not only be local or regional, but national.
Explain how your contribution exceeds that of your peers.
It is not enough to prove that you are involved in work that is in the national interest.
You have to prove and document that your contributions are unique or are critical, essential, not easily replaceable, and are the product of advanced levels of study or experience and highly valued.
You would include descriptions of the following accomplishments:
Evidence of a one-time achievement (i.e., a major, internationally-recognized award)
Receipt of lesser nationally or internationally recognized prizes or awards for excellence in the field of endeavor,
Membership in associations in the field which require outstanding achievements as judged by recognized national or international experts,
Published material in professional or major trade publications or other major media,
Participation on a panel or individually as a judge of the work of others in the field or an allied field,
Original scientific, scholarly, artistic, athletic, or business-related contributions of major significance in the field,
Authorship of scholarly articles in the field, in professional or major trade, and citations,
Publications or other major media, display of the alien’s work at artistic exhibitions or showcase,
Evidence of performing in a leading or critical role for organizations or establishments that have a distinguished reputation,
Evidence of a high salary or other high remuneration for services
Conclusion. This is a summary paragraphs 1 through 4.
You want to draft a powerful summary in laymen’s terms.
The idea is to make sure that the officer understands the severity of the problem, your unique contribution, how it will benefit Americans, and how few if any others are able to make this important contribution.
How to write a National Interest Waiver Letter of Support by Marc Taylor